Rochester Hills, Shelby Township
Police chase driver on stolen motorcycle
August 6, 2014
ROCHESTER HILLS — A 44-year-old Mount Clemens man has been arrested for fleeing police on a stolen motorcycle, according to an Oakland County Sheriff’s Office report.
A deputy observed the orange 2000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle at 9:17 p.m. July 26 near Auburn and Crooks roads and stopped the driver because the motorcycle had no rear lights or registration plate. The man riding the motorcycle reportedly could not produce identification but gave the deputy his name and date of birth.
While the deputy turned back to his patrol car to check the driver’s name, the motorcycle driver started the cycle engine and started to take off. The deputy grabbed the cycle driver’s jacket, but the driver accelerated and broke the deputy’s grasp.
The police officer activated his patrol car’s overhead lights and siren, and pursued the motorcycle into a wooded area off Crooks Road, near Auburn. Police apprehended the cycle driver and took him into custody. Upon investigation, police discovered that the motorcycle was reported stolen in Shelby Township.
The Shelby Township Police Department impounded the motorcycle and Shelby Township Police Capt. Stephen Stanbury said that police contacted the owner of the motorcycle and advised him that his motorcycle had been recovered. At press time, the motorcycle was in the possession of the Shelby Township Police Department. Due to the suspect driving the motorcycle off the road in an attempt to evade police, the motorcycle sustained substantial damage.
Stanbury said police responded to a call from the owner of the motorcycle at around 5:35 p.m. May 28 at Spring Hill Apartments, located near Ryan and West Utica roads. The owner told police that he had parked the orange 2000 Harley-Davidson in the parking lot at about 11:30 p.m. May 27 and that he discovered the vehicle missing at about 11:30 a.m. May 28, Stanbury said.
“He had one set of keys, and he had them in his possession,” Stanbury said. “The bike was paid in full, so it wasn’t repossessed, and there were no suspects at the time. We put it in (the Law Enforcement Information Network database) as stolen.”
The motorcycle driver was lodged at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac pending charges of fleeing and eluding police, possession of a stolen motorcycle and resisting and obstructing police while driving with a suspended license. The suspect was found to have outstanding Friend of the Court warrants from Oakland and Macomb counties, police said.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores