Center LineMarch 21, 2013
Pedestrian struck, killed in Center Line
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
CENTER LINE — A 49-year-old woman struck by a vehicle at Van Dyke and Kaltz March 19 later died of her injuries, Center Line Public Safety Lt. Tom Costello said.
“At about 8:05 p.m. we were dispatched to a pedestrian accident. The first arriving officer saw a female laying in the roadway and determined she needed CPR,” Costello said. “Witnesses said it appeared that she ran into traffic.”
Costello said the victim, a resident of Center Line, reportedly ran east onto Van Dyke from the west side of the road. The vehicle that struck her was traveling north on Van Dyke and was driven by a 58-year-old man.
“He immediately pulled off to the side of the road, put his hazards on and waited for police,” Costello said. “He cooperated fully.”
Costello said the driver’s vehicle was traveling in a middle lane along Van Dyke. Though the woman was struck after dark, he said the roadway was illuminated but that the driver likely could not have avoided hitting her.
An autopsy was performed on the victim and her family was notified. The Center Line Public Safety Department was still awaiting the results of a toxicology report linked to the autopsy.
Costello declined to speculate why the woman entered the roadway.
The driver was released at the scene but the investigation remained ongoing. Costello said the driver’s vehicle was held initially but was later released.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi