CENTER LINE — A 49-year-old woman struck by a vehicle at Van Dyke and Kaltz March 19 later died of her injuries, Center Line Public Safety Lt. Tom Costello said.
“At about 8:05 p.m. we were dispatched to a pedestrian accident. The first arriving officer saw a female laying in the roadway and determined she needed CPR,” Costello said. “Witnesses said it appeared that she ran into traffic.”
Costello said the victim, a resident of Center Line, reportedly ran east onto Van Dyke from the west side of the road. The vehicle that struck her was traveling north on Van Dyke and was driven by a 58-year-old man.
“He immediately pulled off to the side of the road, put his hazards on and waited for police,” Costello said. “He cooperated fully.”
Costello said the driver’s vehicle was traveling in a middle lane along Van Dyke. Though the woman was struck after dark, he said the roadway was illuminated but that the driver likely could not have avoided hitting her.
An autopsy was performed on the victim and her family was notified. The Center Line Public Safety Department was still awaiting the results of a toxicology report linked to the autopsy.
Costello declined to speculate why the woman entered the roadway.
The driver was released at the scene but the investigation remained ongoing. Costello said the driver’s vehicle was held initially but was later released.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township