Pedestrian struck and killed in hit-and-run on M-53
January 13, 2014
At approximately 6 a.m. Jan. 13, officers responded to calls that a pedestrian had been hit by a vehicle on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass. The pedestrian was deceased at the scene.
Shelby Township Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pedestrian was a 39-year-old Macomb Township man. Witnesses told police that the man walked out into the highway, lay down on the road and was struck.
The man, a Chrysler employee, is survived by his wife and two children.
Woelkers classified the incident as a hit-and-run because the motorist responsible did not stop. He said, judging by the impact, police believe it was a smaller vehicle and that no other vehicles struck the man.
While the medical examiner and detective bureau are still investigating the cause of death, Woelkers said it unofficially appears to be a suicide.
Police closed down the Van Dyke expressway from 6-10 a.m. in order to take photos and measurements, collect evidence and investigate the incident. Consequently, the incident cause a traffic gridlock that Woelkers said had many citizens upset and concerned.
No suspect has turned in himself or herself, and the Police Department has not received any tips.
“At 6 in the morning, it’s dark and people are going to work. (The suspect) could have thought they hit a deer carcass or a big pothole. That’s not likely, but it could be possible,” Woelkers said.
Investigators ask that anyone with information about the hit-and-run incident contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit