ROSEVILLE — The St. Athanasius parish may have been folded with two others into the St. Pio of Pietrelcina parish, but its annual Fun Fest is going ahead this September for its 15th year.
The annual festival is planned for Sept. 5-7, according to event Co-chairwoman Jeanne Wineski, and will be held at the 13 Mile Road site of the former St. Athanasius.
Wineski said the festival has no entry fee, though there is a donation to enter a raffle with a $5,000 prize. The proceeds will support the parish. The event would include food, bingo, a “Vegas tent,” musical acts, a flea market, kids games and a “teen tent.”
“The teen tent has video games,” Wineski said. “And usually we have some kind of volleyball tournament.”
Wineski said the merger of St. Athanasius with two other churches has not really had an impact on the planning side of things, but it has drawn new volunteers to help put it together. In the past few festivals, she said they had more than 200 volunteers helping out, but organizers have been trying to get the word out at all three parish buildings.
Wineski also thinks it may have a positive impact on the attendance, too.
“We’re very excited about it. It should improve the attendance,” she said. “We see over 1,000 people, 1,500 on the weekend, and we’re hoping to see more because of the three parishes being one.”
City Manager Scott Adkins said the city services would not be specially staffing the event, though they would be available in case of any emergencies.
“Like any other nonprofit or church event, we want to support the activity and encourage residents to support the local group,” Adkins said. “This is probably one of the longest-standing events, church events, in Roseville. It’s definitely a worthy cause and worthy of support from residents and visitors alike.”
The St. Pio Church location is at 18720 E. 13 Mile Road. For more information or to volunteer, call (586) 776-2943.
- 30 DAYS
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling Heights teen to sing in Nashville — and at Sterlingfest - Sterling Heights
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Decades of Dress features ageless fashion - Rochester Hills
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights