ROSEVILLE — The St. Athanasius parish may have been folded with two others into the St. Pio of Pietrelcina parish, but its annual Fun Fest is going ahead this September for its 15th year.
The annual festival is planned for Sept. 5-7, according to event Co-chairwoman Jeanne Wineski, and will be held at the 13 Mile Road site of the former St. Athanasius.
Wineski said the festival has no entry fee, though there is a donation to enter a raffle with a $5,000 prize. The proceeds will support the parish. The event would include food, bingo, a “Vegas tent,” musical acts, a flea market, kids games and a “teen tent.”
“The teen tent has video games,” Wineski said. “And usually we have some kind of volleyball tournament.”
Wineski said the merger of St. Athanasius with two other churches has not really had an impact on the planning side of things, but it has drawn new volunteers to help put it together. In the past few festivals, she said they had more than 200 volunteers helping out, but organizers have been trying to get the word out at all three parish buildings.
Wineski also thinks it may have a positive impact on the attendance, too.
“We’re very excited about it. It should improve the attendance,” she said. “We see over 1,000 people, 1,500 on the weekend, and we’re hoping to see more because of the three parishes being one.”
City Manager Scott Adkins said the city services would not be specially staffing the event, though they would be available in case of any emergencies.
“Like any other nonprofit or church event, we want to support the activity and encourage residents to support the local group,” Adkins said. “This is probably one of the longest-standing events, church events, in Roseville. It’s definitely a worthy cause and worthy of support from residents and visitors alike.”
The St. Pio Church location is at 18720 E. 13 Mile Road. For more information or to volunteer, call (586) 776-2943.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township