One suspect arrested, two others sought after shooting
Published August 26, 2014
WARREN — One suspect was in Warren police custody Aug. 26 while investigators reportedly closed in on two more, just hours after three family members were shot during an attempted robbery at Toepfer and Peters.
“I’m anticipating warrants today for a second person, and hopefully by the end of the day we’ll have number three,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said.
Warren police were called to a multi-family home at Peters and Toepfer, west of Van Dyke and south of Nine Mile Road, at 11:10 p.m. Aug. 24 after a family member reportedly answered the door and was confronted by three suspects. Two of the suspects were reportedly wearing masks. Green said one suspect was armed with a long rifle and that another carried a handgun.
The dwelling was occupied by a 57-year-old man, a 53-year-old woman, their 17-year-old son and two of his teenage friends.
“They announced a robbery. ‘Where’s the money?’” Green said. “The dad retreats and grabs a rifle-type BB gun that he had. He starts to fight and defend himself.”
The suspect carrying the pistol allegedly fired shots that struck the three residents. The 53-year-old woman was struck in the abdomen and reportedly remained hospitalized in critical condition. The 57-year-old man, hit in the chest, and their 17-year-old son, shot in the abdomen, were reportedly treated and released from the hospital.
Police said they were investigating whether the suspects knew the family from the neighborhood and went to the home in search of cash. Green said the suspect in custody was arrested Aug. 25 at a home on nearby Studebaker.
An arraignment was expected to take place Aug. 27 for one or more suspects, pending further expected arrests.
“The message is, you’re not going to get away with it here,” Green said. “When there’s a violent crime committed in this city, within 24 hours we’ve got it wrapped up.”
Green said Warren detectives and patrol officers were working alongside the department’s Special Operations Unit to follow leads and execute warrants as the search continued Aug. 26.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township