Officials investigate fatal house fire
Published December 26, 2013
After a Dec. 23 house fire claimed the life of a 60-year-old Farmington Hills man, police and fire officials are investigating the matter.
The Farmington Hills police and fire departments were dispatched to the house fire in the 28000 block of West 10 Mile Road, west of Inkster Road, at about 10 p.m., after the man’s family members went to check on him at the home and discovered it was on fire and called police, according to a city press release.
The man, whose name has not been identified for privacy reasons, “succumbed to his injuries” after the Fire Department pulled him from the burning building, according to the release.
The Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office’s Robert Gerds, a medical examiner's administrator, said that the cause of death was smoke and soot inhalation, and the manner of death was accidental.
Fire Deputy Chief Lee Panoushek said the death is still under investigation.
Panoushek added that the joint fire and police department investigation could take hours or days, and there is no specific time frame.
“The Farmington Hills fire and police officials ask that everyone keep the family members of this tragedy in your thoughts and prayers over this holiday season,” a press release states.
- 30 DAYS
- Wading through uncertainty - Ferndale
- Voters say no to Proposal 1 - Metro Detroit
- Birmingham Public Schools bond approved - Birmingham
- The Riviera opens with special effects - Farmington Hills
- Grosse Pointe Schools chooses its new superintendent - Grosse Pointes
- School bond fails in Lake Shore - St. Clair Shores
- Bloomfield Hills Schools bond approved - Bloomfield Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson