A Troy man who worked as a security guard manager at Oakland Mall faces four felony counts and 10 years in prison after he was caught on tape allegedly stealing money from a cash register in a store at the mall.
Police were called to Oakland Mall April 22 on a report of a breaking and entering at Manic Shoes, where $300 was reportedly stolen from a locked cash register.
Troy police and an Oakland Mall security officer reviewed the tape on the in-store video camera, which showed someone going to and opening the cash register. The security officer reportedly recognized the suspect as the manager of Oakland Mall security, Jeffrey Douglas Maul, 36, police said.
Troy police interviewed Maul, who reportedly confessed to the theft at Manic Shoes as well as four other thefts at Oakland Mall and Oakland Plaza that have occurred since Jan. 7 — from President Tuxedo, Dairy Queen/Orange Julius, and two thefts from Bosco’s Barber Shop.
Maul was arraigned in 52-4 District Court April 24 on one count of breaking and entering, a 10-year-felony, and four counts of larceny from a building, each a four-year felony.
He appeared in court without an attorney and requested that a court-appointed attorney represent him. Bond was set at $15,000. His preliminary exam is set for April 30.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township