Grosse Pointe FarmsSeptember 18, 2013
New fundraiser brings fall cheer and Michigan beer
By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer
GROSSE POINTE FARMS — Later this month, the city will be home to a new event aimed at foodies, and craft beer and wine connoisseurs.
From 6-10 p.m. Sept. 28, Liquid Events Detroit and Grand Circus Media will be presenting the first Dabble in the Farms: A Craft Tasting Experience in the Hill business district on Kercheval. Dabble will feature local restaurants and food trucks offering food tastings for $1-$2, as well as full servings for purchase; live entertainment by Catfish Mafia and Dragon Wagons; items for sale from local artisans and stores; and beverages from Michigan breweries, wineries and distilleries.
Attendees will receive 15 beverage-tasting tickets to sample the local potables, some of which have won awards. A portion of the proceeds will go toward Camp Casey — for children with cancer — and Rotary of Grosse Pointe.
Hill Business Association Vice President Mary Wells said their members were “very positive” about Dabble.
“The members of the Hill are always interested in ways to bring traffic into our area. … This seems like the type of event that will draw people not only from our area, but the outlying areas, as well,” said Wells in a press release.
City Manager Shane Reeside said that support from the business community contributed to the green light from elected officials. During a meeting Aug. 19, the City Council unanimously approved a special event request from Dabble organizers, subject to several conditions, including payment of a $500 fee to rent a city parking lot for the evening.
“The event received overwhelming support from the Hill Business Association,” Reeside said. “It’s just further evidence of the vitality of the Hill business district.”
Dabble co-organizer Jason Dritsan, a Grosse Pointe native, would like to see the event expand to a full day next year. He has worked on events in conjunction with the 2005 Super Bowl, the Final Four and the recent Orion Music + More festival.
“I’ve made a career at producing events on a large scale that really help spotlight different cities,” said Dritsan in a press release “It has always been a goal of mine to be able to create a celebration in the city I was raised in. The historical character of the city, mixed with the strong community bond of Grosse Pointe, will make Dabble in the Farms just that much more of a signature event.”
Dabble will take place at a municipal parking lot adjacent to 41 Kercheval, near McKinley. Tickets are $30 in advance or $40 at the door. Admission is open to those ages 21 and older. For tickets or more information, visit www.dabblegrossepointe.com.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi