Millage renewals pass in Bloomfield Township
August 5, 2014
Bloomfield Township — The township's four millage renewals passed at the polls Aug. 5. All are renewals of existing millages, and will not increase the tax portion of each home over previous years, officials said.
Proposal A was a renewal of 1.1336 mills, for $3.6 million, for a period of 10 years to improve, staff, equip and operate the Bloomfield Township police and fire departments. Of the 8,908 votes, the proposal passed with 77.4 percent approval.
Proposal B was a renewal of 0.6941 mills, for $2.2 million, for a period of 10 years, also to improve, staff, equip and operate the police and fire departments. With 8,736 votes, this proposal passed by 76.36 percent.
Also on the ballot was a renewal of the senior services millage, which involves 0.2439 mills, for $769,000, for an additional 10 years to staff, operate and equip the Bloomfield Township Senior Center. With 8,748 votes, the proposal passed 79.54 percent.
This proposal will continue senior services, including adult day care, transportation, nutrition and outreach. Senior services also includes Meals on Wheels, which provides over 12,000 hot meals annually, as well as the Friendship Club, which provides 15,000 hours of care yearly to people with dementia.
The final millage renewal will ensure completion and upkeep of the township’s safety paths. The 0.4839 mills for five years include construction and maintenance of safety paths. With 8,748 votes, the millage passed with 65.37 percent of votes.
“We are very pleased with the affirmation and support. It shows the the positive direction in which the township is headed,” said Township Supervisor Leo Savoie.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit