Michigan Zhong Shu Temple to host youth summer camp
August 14, 2014
FARMINGTON HILLS — Zhong Shu Temple is preparing to host its third annual youth summer camp Aug. 16-17 at the temple located at 23845 Middlebelt Road.
The youth summer camp aims to help children enrich their knowledge of interpersonal skills through interactive lessons and activities, with a focus on having fun, while appreciating the strengths in others, temple host Rocky Chen said.
“The attendees have to demonstrate teamwork and show kindness,” Chen said. “The program has been designed as interactive lessons and activities for our kids. (They) can learn some very practical, moral and ethical principles that are missing nowadays in society.”
With activities such as a King Arthur play and a bonfire, the program, open to ages 10-15, is geared toward an underlying focus on Taoism, which encompasses immortality, humbleness and compassion.
“This temple focuses on providing the essence of Taoism,” Chen said. “Tao is the truth and way of living, and the essence of the tao is peace, love, respect, trust and practice forgiveness.”
The camp uses engaging methods to introduce Confucian morality and ethical principles to children, according to a press release.
Farmington Hills resident Rae Lynn Stephenson, who volunteers in the temple, said her then-6-year-old son and then-8-year-old daughter attended the camp last year, and it was a “profound experience.”
“It was a very enriching and a good experience for all of us together,” she said. “They really want to see the kids and adults get something out of it that is going to help them grow and strengthen.”
The camp is slated for 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Aug. 16 and 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Aug. 17.
Space is limited, and reservations are on a first come, first served basis. RSVP online at www.facebook.com/michigantemple.
For more information, call (734) 890-2307 or (248) 579-4791.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit