Men arrested for illegally recording movie in theater
October 14, 2013
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Two men were arrested by Clinton Township police Oct. 6 for allegedly recording a motion picture illegally in the AMC Star Gratiot theater, located at 35705 South Gratiot Ave.
Darren John Smith, 48, and Dana Elliotte Hervey, 49, were reportedly caught around 10 p.m. with a camera set up inside the theater. Investigators were tipped because it is allegedly not the first time the two men have recorded films inside a theater.
Clinton Township Police Department Captain Richard Maierle said the men were filming the motion picture “Gravity” when they were apprehended.
The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) is having problems with this,” Maierle said. “We had a P.I. (private investigator) watching the place, and then they observed (the two men).”
The two men, both hailing from Detroit, were released on $500 bond. They face a one-year misdemeanor if charged. No court date was announced at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township