Published April 3, 2013
Man suspected of 15-plus break-ins, held on $1 million bond
By Terry Oparka email@example.com
Police arrested a parolee they believe broke into 15-20 homes in a number of cities recently. Police from multiple jurisdictions caught the man breaking into a home in Rochester Hills.
D’Mario Darrell Thornton, 32, of Detroit, was arraigned on one count of home invasion in 52-2 District Court in Rochester Hills March 28. His attorney could not be reached for comment.
Thornton was on parole for home invasion in California.
Members of the Troy Police Special Investigations Unit, comprising officers from Troy, Auburn Hills and Bloomfield Township, and the South Oakland Narcotic Investigation Consortium — made up of officers from West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills and Novi — were conducting surveillance on a home invasion suspect.
Police arrested Thornton without incident after officers saw him break into a home in Rochester Hills, according to reports.
Officers recovered a very large quantity of suspected stolen property from Thornton’s 2009 white Cadillac Escalade and a home in Sterling Heights. Among the items were TVs, electronics, jewelry, collectibles and cash. Police identified stolen property from two Rochester Hills home break-ins, as well as four in Shelby Township, one in Troy, two in West Bloomfield, two in Rochester and two in Novi.
Numerous items have yet to be identified. Troy police Capt. Bob Redmond said that the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office will work to identify the items. He said other charges could follow for Thornton.
Thornton’s bond was set at $1 million without surety, and he remains in the Oakland County Jail. His preliminary exam has not yet been set.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley