MOUNT CLEMENS — A Macomb County judge has sentenced a man to at least eight years behind bars for the deaths of two motorcyclists in a drunken driving accident last August.
Judge Mary Chrzanowski sentenced Jeffery Jones, 46, to between eight years and three months, and 15 years in prison for the accident, which occurred on Gratiot in Clinton Township, according to court records. Jones had pleaded no contest to the charges in March.
Investigators say that, at about 11 p.m. Aug. 17, Jones was driving an SUV south on Gratiot, near Wendell Street in Clinton Township, when he struck motorcycles traveling in the same direction. Jones was reportedly under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident.
Two people on one of the motorcycles — Thomas Taylor, 58, and girlfriend Kelly Potasnik, 47, both of Roseville — were killed when their motorcycle was hit and launched into another vehicle.
Jones also pleaded no contest to a drunken driving charge related to seriously injuring another person on another motorcycle, who was hospitalized after his motorcycle went down in the accident. For that charge, he was sentenced to a concurrent jail term of between three and five years in prison.
A no contest plea, while not an admission of guilt, is treated as such for sentencing purposes. Jones has already served eight months in jail since the accident, court records state.
The attorney representing Jones did not return a call for comment by press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Experts weigh in on the proper use of roundabouts - Southfield
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit