Nobody was hurt when residents were trapped on the second floor of the Canterbury Square apartments, located on Lovington, which runs east from John R, south of Maple, after a fire started on the first floor just after noon March 15.
Assistant Fire Chief David Roberts said that a man reportedly hung out a second-story window, then dropped to safety with help from others on the ground as firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy black smoke and fire showing from a first-floor apartment.
The man refused medical treatment, Roberts said.
Firefighters used ladders to rescue two females trapped on the second floor of the two-story, multi-unit building — one on the west side and one on the east side.
They were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and then released, Roberts said.
Firefighters entered the building to extinguish the fire and search the apartments, and they discovered that all residents had evacuated, according to reports. One firefighter involved in the ladder rescues was treated for exhaustion and then returned to the scene to fight the fire, according to reports.
Reports stated that firefighters extinguished the blaze as it spread from the first floor to the second floor. They stopped it as it reached the attic.
“We’re confident it started in the kitchen,” Roberts said. “We’re trying to sift through the damage to determine exactly where it started and how it started.”
According to reports, Canterbury Square management was making arrangements for accommodations for displaced residents. It was not known how many residents were displaced or what the accommodations would be.
Firefighters remained on the scene for three hours. John R was closed to traffic in both directions as firefighters had to stretch a hose line from a hydrant across John R.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores