WARREN – Police said they do not believe foul play was a factor in the death of a 50-year-old man whose body was found in a tent in a Warren field by an acquaintance March 15.
Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said officers were dispatched to the field south of I-696 between Mound and Sherwood at 3 p.m. where the body was found earlier.
“This guy was actually living in a tent. There were a couple tents back there,” Metz said. “One of his buddies hadn’t seen him in a while. He went over and checked on him. They found him dead in his tent. It appears to be natural causes right now.”
Metz said the caller told police he’d met the man at the Salvation Army’s nearby shelter on Mound. He told police he only knew the deceased man by his first name and that he hadn’t seen him since November.
“It probably looked, from the condition of the body, that he’s been down for a while,” Metz said.
An autopsy was performed March 16 and police said the death did not appear to be suspicious.
The man’s wallet and identification were found in the tent along with the body.
Metz said the medical examiner was awaiting toxicology results before a report outlining the cause of death would be finalized. The man’s name was not immediately released, pending the notification of family members.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Meijer plans curbside pickup - Rochester Hills
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Police chief recognized for domestic violence prevention - Southfield
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township