WARREN – Police said they do not believe foul play was a factor in the death of a 50-year-old man whose body was found in a tent in a Warren field by an acquaintance March 15.
Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said officers were dispatched to the field south of I-696 between Mound and Sherwood at 3 p.m. where the body was found earlier.
“This guy was actually living in a tent. There were a couple tents back there,” Metz said. “One of his buddies hadn’t seen him in a while. He went over and checked on him. They found him dead in his tent. It appears to be natural causes right now.”
Metz said the caller told police he’d met the man at the Salvation Army’s nearby shelter on Mound. He told police he only knew the deceased man by his first name and that he hadn’t seen him since November.
“It probably looked, from the condition of the body, that he’s been down for a while,” Metz said.
An autopsy was performed March 16 and police said the death did not appear to be suspicious.
The man’s wallet and identification were found in the tent along with the body.
Metz said the medical examiner was awaiting toxicology results before a report outlining the cause of death would be finalized. The man’s name was not immediately released, pending the notification of family members.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township