Felon facing charges after accidental shooting
Published August 27, 2014
MOUNT CLEMENS — The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office reports that a 58-year-old Mount Clemens man is facing criminal charges after he accidentally shot himself Aug. 26.
Lt. John Michalke reports that deputies were dispatched to an apartment at 325 N. Groesbeck at around 8 p.m. in response to the shooting.
There, they discovered a bleeding man sitting on his living-room floor. The man, whose name had not yet been released pending a formal arraignment, told deputies that prior to their arrival, he was “messing with” his Jimenez Arms .380 caliber semi-automatic handgun when it accidentally discharged.
The lone round went through his hand before becoming lodged in his right thigh.
The man told deputies that the gun belonged to him, but that he did not know who it was registered to. The report states that deputies ran the serial number through a database and learned that the handgun was unregistered.
Furthermore, the man, reportedly a convicted felon, had two outstanding warrants for his arrest: a domestic violence incident in Chesterfield Township and a breaking and entering warrant out of Kalamazoo, Michalke said.
He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries. Once released from the hospital, he faces charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of an unregistered firearm, and reckless discharge
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township