RosevilleAugust 29, 2013
Man charged with child sexually abusive behavior
By April Lehmbeck
C & G Staff Writer
Roseville resident Darren Calvin Bailey, 33, faces four felony counts after he allegedly reached out to a 14-year-old girl with inappropriate messages by computer and tried to set up a date.
The investigation was conducted by the Special Investigations Division of the Roseville Police Department and officials from the Southeast Michigan Crimes Against Children Task Force after the teen’s father contacted police about messages, apparently sent in a chat room, from someone claiming to be a teenage boy, according to police information.
“The father was dubious of (the) individual’s intentions and notified the police of his fears,” Roseville Police stated in a news release.
Police said that investigators posed as the girl and exchanged text messages with the suspect, who allegedly made requests for sexual favors and photos.
“The suspect also sent nude photos of himself to investigators trying to entice his victim to meet with him,” police said in the release.
After the suspect allegedly set up a meeting with who he thought was the teenage girl at a local park Aug. 28, police met him instead.
During the arrest, Bailey tried to run and fought with officers, who used a Taser to gain compliance and make the arrest, according to police.
Bailey was charged with two counts of child sexually abusive behavior and one count of using a computer to commit a crime, both 20-year felonies. He also was charged with one count of assaulting a police officer, according to police information.
During his Aug. 29 arraignment, bond was set at $1 million cash or surety by 39th District Court Judge Catherine Steenland. His preliminary exam is scheduled for Sept. 11.
Bailey requested a court appointed attorney, but court personnel said that afternoon that one had not been appointed yet.
Police ask anyone with information to call (586) 447-4483.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi