WARREN — A 39-year-old man suffered burns to his arm, chest and face in a fiery two-car crash at Eight Mile and Groesbeck March 19, Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said.
Warren fire crews were dispatched to the accident on the northwest corner of the intersection at 7:15 p.m. and arrived to find the Detroit Fire Department on the scene.
McAdams said a cell tower in the area routed an incoming 911 call to Detroit’s emergency dispatch center, which sent Detroit police and fire units to the intersection where firefighters pulled the victim from his burning car and worked to extinguish the vehicle.
“We arrived to find two cars fully involved. Detroit Fire was putting out one car and Warren Fire put out the second,” McAdams said. “The victim who was injured was removed from the vehicle by Detroit Fire and set on the median between Eight Mile.”
Warren paramedics treated the man for burns sustained in the fire and transported him to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit in critical but stable condition.
The driver of a second vehicle involved in the crash was not injured and not treated by the Warren Fire Department, McAdams said.
It was not immediately clear what caused the fire during the crash but McAdams said such incidents are rare, especially when both vehicles become engulfed.
“I can only think of a handful in 30 years with fully-involved vehicles,” McAdams said. “Normally they are high-speed accidents.”
Deputy Warren Police Commissioner Louis Galasso said the injured driver was responsible for the rear-end collision but that no other information about the crash was available March 20.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit