Man arrested for tying elderly parents to bed in Flamingo Motel
November 18, 2013
FRASER — A 55-year-old Lenox Township man is facing multiple counts of adult abuse after authorities became aware that he tied his parents up in a motel room.
Eric John Gala, the owner of Flamingo Motel, 32325 Groesbeck Highway, is facing two counts of vulnerable adult abuse in the second degree, with each crime being a four-year felony.
The Fraser Department of Public Safety received a complaint Nov. 6 that Gala had his elderly parents — aged 92 and 78 — tied up to a bed in an unsanitary motel room.
When officers arrived to the scene, they reportedly found Gala’s parents lying in their own feces and urine. The room was full of flies while a coarse smell emanated, so much so that it was unbearable to the officers present. There was also no hot water, no sufficient heat, and the room was dark.
When interviewed by police, Gala said that his parents rarely bathed and that they were tied to the bed so they wouldn’t leave.
Fraser Lt. Dan Kolke said that Gala’s parents moved to Michigan from Florida three years ago to live at the motel. After a fire in January 2013, Gala’s parents shared a house with him until they returned to the hotel in July, when Gala made them move out. An ex-employee found out about the abuse and filed a complaint to police.
Gala was arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court and was released on $20,000 personal bond.
Gala was his parents’ guardian, and the state has since removed his guardianship.
No court date was specified at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- BHMS student to be featured at international art show - Bloomfield Township
- Local teen wins state pageant title - St. Clair Shores
- Guard against Lyme disease this summer - Metro Detroit
- Hartwell announces Madison Heights mayoral bid - Madison Heights
- Accidental fire displaces women, children at shelter - Mount Clemens
- Arts, Beats & Eats organizers boast new partnerships, collaborations - Royal Oak
- Fire at dollar store significantly damages building - Harper Woods
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township