Madison Heights man killed in motorcycle crash
September 10, 2013
WARREN — Warren police said a Madison Heights man died Sept. 8 after he apparently lost control of his motorcycle and struck a curb near 13 Mile and Chicago roads.
Detective Lt. Heidi Metz said the victim, 74-year-old Ronald Walters, was operating a Harley-Davidson on westbound 13 Mile Road east of Van Dyke at about 10:30 p.m.
“There was a witness. The witness tells us that the motorcycle was riding west on 13 Mile at the curve (at Chicago Road), where it’s heading toward Van Dyke,” Metz said. “As he was negotiating the curve he either intended to go down 13 Mile or lost control and headed that way. He hit the curb.”
Metz said Walters was transported to Royal Oak’s William Beaumont Hospital where he was pronounced dead. She said he was wearing a helmet when he crashed.
No other vehicles were involved in the crash and Metz said there were no other apparent contributing factors.
“We’re investigating still. We have no reason to believe there was anything else involved here. It just looks like he lost control for some reason,” Metz said.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Bank robbery suspect in police custody - Roseville
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Teen center receives $10,000 grant for after-school program - Eastpointe
- Breakfast with Santa - Harrison Township
- Transit authority seeks public input on Gratiot changes - Eastpointe
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville