St. Clair Shores
Looking Back: Frank Trombly Farmhouse
October 22, 2013
In the late 1890s, the area of Macomb County that we now call St. Clair Shores was named Erin. It was an agricultural community with summer cottages, one-room schools and long, narrow farms extending from Lake St. Clair. The Frank Trombly (Francis Trombley) farm was located near the northern border of Erin on the old Private Claim No.199, according to the 1895 Standard Atlas of Macomb County. Their neighbors were the William Meldrum and August Prell families. There are various spellings of the surname on different documents.
This photograph has been dated with the help of the 1900 U.S. Census and notes on the image. From left to right are: Nettie (age 16), Pauline (48), Albert (12) and William Trombly (22). The woman with the baby in the carriage is tentatively identified as Mrs. Prell and her child. August Prell owned property on Private Claim 556 near Masonic Boulevard and Jefferson.
This photograph and other images are available to view through the Digital Media Archive on www.scslibrary.org.
Source: Cynthia Bieniek, Archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library, St. Clair Shores Historical Commission Photograph Collection
Do you own a piece of history? Send us your historically significant photos from around town, and we may be able to feature them in an upcoming edition of Looking Back. Email your photos to Kristyne Demske at email@example.com or call (586) 498-1041.
- 30 DAYS
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Michael Loftis pleads guilty to 1998 rape charge - Roseville
- Commission candidates share priorities at forum - Bloomfield Hills
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- COPS grant will add two Harper Woods police officers - Harper Woods
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township