A student from L’Anse Creuse High School North was killed over the weekend after reportedly stepping in front of a moving train.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, the accident occurred at around 9:55 a.m. June 15. It involved a freight train and a pedestrian on the railroad tracks between westbound Hall Road and Fairchild Road in Macomb Township. The victim — Wilfried Eugene Fuchs, a 17-year-old Macomb Township resident and a junior at LCHS North — was pronounced dead at the scene.
Preliminary investigation revealed that a Canadian National Railway freight train was traveling south when it struck Fuchs, Wickersham said. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in the accident. The train operator indicated that he saw Fuchs walking near the railroad tracks between Fairchild and Hall, then saw the boy step onto the tracks as the train approached, police said.
“This is a tragic event, and my thoughts and prayers go out to Wilfried’s family,” Wickersham said in a statement. He added that investigators would soon be completing their reports.
Officials from L’Anse Creuse Public Schools released the following statement: “We have received information about the recent death of Willie Fuchs, a junior at L’Anse Creuse High School North. We are all saddened by this news and send our condolences to his family and friends.”
The district will be providing crisis counselors to students and their families 6-8 p.m. June 17 and 10 a.m.-noon June 18 at LCHS North, located at 23700 21 Mile Road in Macomb Township. In addition, there will be a special parent meeting held in the school media center at 6:30 p.m. June 17.
- 30 DAYS
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling Heights teen to sing in Nashville — and at Sterlingfest - Sterling Heights
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Decades of Dress features ageless fashion - Rochester Hills
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights