A student from L’Anse Creuse High School North was killed over the weekend after reportedly stepping in front of a moving train.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, the accident occurred at around 9:55 a.m. June 15. It involved a freight train and a pedestrian on the railroad tracks between westbound Hall Road and Fairchild Road in Macomb Township. The victim — Wilfried Eugene Fuchs, a 17-year-old Macomb Township resident and a junior at LCHS North — was pronounced dead at the scene.
Preliminary investigation revealed that a Canadian National Railway freight train was traveling south when it struck Fuchs, Wickersham said. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in the accident. The train operator indicated that he saw Fuchs walking near the railroad tracks between Fairchild and Hall, then saw the boy step onto the tracks as the train approached, police said.
“This is a tragic event, and my thoughts and prayers go out to Wilfried’s family,” Wickersham said in a statement. He added that investigators would soon be completing their reports.
Officials from L’Anse Creuse Public Schools released the following statement: “We have received information about the recent death of Willie Fuchs, a junior at L’Anse Creuse High School North. We are all saddened by this news and send our condolences to his family and friends.”
The district will be providing crisis counselors to students and their families 6-8 p.m. June 17 and 10 a.m.-noon June 18 at LCHS North, located at 23700 21 Mile Road in Macomb Township. In addition, there will be a special parent meeting held in the school media center at 6:30 p.m. June 17.
- 30 DAYS
- Red Wings score healthy victory at local elementary school - Clawson
- Local potter to represent Shelby Township - Shelby Township
- BHS theater students show comedy chops in ‘Noises Off’ - Berkley
- Wreaths to be laid on hallowed ground Dec.12 - Metro Detroit
- Shoplifter flees store with North Face jackets worth $1,000 - Utica
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Police seek information on bank hit-and-run crash - Roseville
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville