A student from L’Anse Creuse High School North was killed over the weekend after reportedly stepping in front of a moving train.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, the accident occurred at around 9:55 a.m. June 15. It involved a freight train and a pedestrian on the railroad tracks between westbound Hall Road and Fairchild Road in Macomb Township. The victim — Wilfried Eugene Fuchs, a 17-year-old Macomb Township resident and a junior at LCHS North — was pronounced dead at the scene.
Preliminary investigation revealed that a Canadian National Railway freight train was traveling south when it struck Fuchs, Wickersham said. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in the accident. The train operator indicated that he saw Fuchs walking near the railroad tracks between Fairchild and Hall, then saw the boy step onto the tracks as the train approached, police said.
“This is a tragic event, and my thoughts and prayers go out to Wilfried’s family,” Wickersham said in a statement. He added that investigators would soon be completing their reports.
Officials from L’Anse Creuse Public Schools released the following statement: “We have received information about the recent death of Willie Fuchs, a junior at L’Anse Creuse High School North. We are all saddened by this news and send our condolences to his family and friends.”
The district will be providing crisis counselors to students and their families 6-8 p.m. June 17 and 10 a.m.-noon June 18 at LCHS North, located at 23700 21 Mile Road in Macomb Township. In addition, there will be a special parent meeting held in the school media center at 6:30 p.m. June 17.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township