Published June 17, 2013
LCHS-North student, 17, killed by train
By Jeremy Selweski jSelweski@candgnews.com
A student from L’Anse Creuse High School North was killed over the weekend after reportedly stepping in front of a moving train.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, the accident occurred at around 9:55 a.m. June 15. It involved a freight train and a pedestrian on the railroad tracks between westbound Hall Road and Fairchild Road in Macomb Township. The victim — Wilfried Eugene Fuchs, a 17-year-old Macomb Township resident and a junior at LCHS North — was pronounced dead at the scene.
Preliminary investigation revealed that a Canadian National Railway freight train was traveling south when it struck Fuchs, Wickersham said. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in the accident. The train operator indicated that he saw Fuchs walking near the railroad tracks between Fairchild and Hall, then saw the boy step onto the tracks as the train approached, police said.
“This is a tragic event, and my thoughts and prayers go out to Wilfried’s family,” Wickersham said in a statement. He added that investigators would soon be completing their reports.
Officials from L’Anse Creuse Public Schools released the following statement: “We have received information about the recent death of Willie Fuchs, a junior at L’Anse Creuse High School North. We are all saddened by this news and send our condolences to his family and friends.”
The district will be providing crisis counselors to students and their families 6-8 p.m. June 17 and 10 a.m.-noon June 18 at LCHS North, located at 23700 21 Mile Road in Macomb Township. In addition, there will be a special parent meeting held in the school media center at 6:30 p.m. June 17.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley