LATHRUP VILLAGE — In order to give Lathrup Village volunteers a proper thank-you, the village’s Recreation Department will be holding an event called Night Out In Lathrup to celebrate volunteers and the community alike.
The event will be held 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16, on the lawn of the Lathrup Village Municipal Complex. A chicken dinner will be served at 5 p.m., followed by a concert by Air Margaritaville at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. A cash bar will be available.
“While it is a community event that is open to the public, we are also honoring our volunteers for their hours of support and participation,” said Recreation Coordinator Maralee Rosemond.
One person will be named the Lathrup Village Volunteer of the Year by Lathrup Village TimeBank, an organization dedicated to donating time to people in need.
Evan Bell, the winner of the Volunteer of the Year award in 2012, was the youngest person to win the award, at age 20.
“I just tried to help out at as many events as I can,” Bell said. “I go to school, and that restricts the amount of events, but when I do help out, I just try to interact with the attendees and make a difference in our city.”
Now 22, Bell is attending Grand Valley State University and majoring in legal studies.
When he won the award, Bell said, he not only felt pride for himself, but for the village, as well.
“I have a lot of pride in Lathrup Village, and our recreation department plays a big role in that,” Bell said. “I think it can really help bring the community together and make the community better.”
Rosemond said the event also signifies the end of summer.
“It’s one big, friendly gathering. One last concert before the end of the summer,” she said.
Attendees are encouraged to reserve tickets ahead of time by calling Maralee Rosemond at (248) 557-2600, ext. 224.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores