HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 49-year-old Mount Clemens man was killed when he lost control of his vehicle while merging onto the freeway in Harrison Township April 30.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, William Weaver died from injuries sustained in the multi-vehicle crash that occurred when he lost control of his 1987 Chrysler New Yorker while merging onto traffic on eastbound Interstate 94 at Metropolitan Parkway.
According to investigators, Weaver had entered the busy freeway from eastbound Metropolitan Parkway and crossed over all three lanes of traffic, striking another vehicle and then hitting the center median barrier. His vehicle was subsequently struck by a third vehicle.
“He veered across all lanes as he merged onto the freeway for inexplicable reasons,” said Lt. John Michalke.
Weaver was transported to McLaren Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead from his injuries. He was not wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.
The other two drivers were uninjured.
Michalke said investigators are waiting for results from a toxicology test to determine if drugs or alcohol contributed to the crash.
The freeway was closed for several hours while the investigation continued and the wreckage was cleared. It was reopened at 6:35 p.m.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township