I-696 closes due to despondent man on overpass
By Kevin Bunch
September 23, 2013
A Roseville man threatening to jump off the Barkman Street overpass of Interstate 696 caused the closure of all interstate lanes during the morning of Sept. 23 until emergency personnel were able to get him down.
According to a Roseville Police Department press release, the man was despondent over health issues and was threatening to commit suicide for about 45 minutes until a crisis negotiator was able to convince him to let firefighters from Eastpointe and Roseville get him down.
The man was taken to a local hospital for observation, the release said.
About the author
Staff Writer Kevin Bunch covers the communities of Eastpointe and Roseville, as well as Roseville Community Schools and East Detroit Public Schools. He has worked at C&G Newspapers since 2013, and is a graduate of Wayne State University and Henry Ford Community College. Kevin is also a 2015 Metcalf Institute for Marine & Environmental Reporting alumni.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County