I-696 closes due to despondent man on overpass
Published September 23, 2013
A Roseville man threatening to jump off the Barkman Street overpass of Interstate 696 caused the closure of all interstate lanes during the morning of Sept. 23 until emergency personnel were able to get him down.
According to a Roseville Police Department press release, the man was despondent over health issues and was threatening to commit suicide for about 45 minutes until a crisis negotiator was able to convince him to let firefighters from Eastpointe and Roseville get him down.
The man was taken to a local hospital for observation, the release said.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe