A resident who lives across from Poupard Elementary School on Van Antwerp Street was caught by surprise when he came home to find an intruder in the basement at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 6.
The resident fired a handgun at the suspect. The suspect fled, but police are unsure if the suspect was shot in the incident, according to police information.
The homeowner called police, who immediately launched a search of the area with officers and the city’s police K-9 team.
They “set up a perimeter to secure the area and are continuing to search for a black male wearing a green hoodie,” Public Safety Director James Burke stated in a Nixle.com release.
Police were planning to maintain a heavy presence around the school to ensure safety as students arrived earlier in the morning.
Police are asking that anyone with information on this incident call (313) 343-2530.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe