Harrison Township shootings ruled murder/suicide
By Julie Snyder
August 15, 2014
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office confirmed this afternoon that the Aug. 14 shootings at a Harrison Township apartment was the result of a murder/suicide.
According to Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, sometime in the early morning hours, Anne Marie Goodell, 50, fired three rounds from a 9 mm hand gun, fatally striking Troy Richard Benjamin, 40. Goodell then allegedly turned the gun on herself, taking her own life.
Autopsies were performed Aug. 15, and the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the deaths homicide/suicide, which Wickersham said corroborated the findings of investigators.
“This is a very sad situation and our hearts and prayers go out to both families,” Wickersham said.
Sheriff’s deputies responded to the apartment in the 36000 block of Gordon Lane off of Union Lake Road at approximately 3:44 p.m., Aug. 14. The individual who reported the deaths was Goodell’s daughter, officials said.
At the scene, deputies observed that there were no signs of a break-in at the residence, and several neighbors reported hearing gunshots at around 3 a.m., however no one contacted police at that time.
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Local VFW receives grant for generator, building work - Madison Heights
- ‘30 Americans’ celebrates and explores identity and other issues - Detroit
- Dashing through the shows at the Macomb Center - Clinton Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights