Published August 15, 2014
Harrison Township shootings ruled murder/suicide
By Julie Snyder firstname.lastname@example.org
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office confirmed this afternoon that the Aug. 14 shootings at a Harrison Township apartment was the result of a murder/suicide.
According to Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, sometime in the early morning hours, Anne Marie Goodell, 50, fired three rounds from a 9 mm hand gun, fatally striking Troy Richard Benjamin, 40. Goodell then allegedly turned the gun on herself, taking her own life.
Autopsies were performed Aug. 15, and the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the deaths homicide/suicide, which Wickersham said corroborated the findings of investigators.
“This is a very sad situation and our hearts and prayers go out to both families,” Wickersham said.
Sheriff’s deputies responded to the apartment in the 36000 block of Gordon Lane off of Union Lake Road at approximately 3:44 p.m., Aug. 14. The individual who reported the deaths was Goodell’s daughter, officials said.
At the scene, deputies observed that there were no signs of a break-in at the residence, and several neighbors reported hearing gunshots at around 3 a.m., however no one contacted police at that time.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Dinner to support Warming Center - Mount Clemens
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley