Harrison Township shootings ruled murder/suicide
Published August 15, 2014
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office confirmed this afternoon that the Aug. 14 shootings at a Harrison Township apartment was the result of a murder/suicide.
According to Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, sometime in the early morning hours, Anne Marie Goodell, 50, fired three rounds from a 9 mm hand gun, fatally striking Troy Richard Benjamin, 40. Goodell then allegedly turned the gun on herself, taking her own life.
Autopsies were performed Aug. 15, and the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the deaths homicide/suicide, which Wickersham said corroborated the findings of investigators.
“This is a very sad situation and our hearts and prayers go out to both families,” Wickersham said.
Sheriff’s deputies responded to the apartment in the 36000 block of Gordon Lane off of Union Lake Road at approximately 3:44 p.m., Aug. 14. The individual who reported the deaths was Goodell’s daughter, officials said.
At the scene, deputies observed that there were no signs of a break-in at the residence, and several neighbors reported hearing gunshots at around 3 a.m., however no one contacted police at that time.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township