Harrison TownshipApril 30, 2013
Harrison Township man chases neighbor with hatchet
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 27-year-old Harrison Township man was behind bars after he went after his neighbor with a hatchet early in the morning of April 30, Macomb County Sheriff’s officials say.
Brett Jones was arraigned in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township later that day on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon.
According to police, Jones was heavily intoxicated when the assault occurred just after midnight.
According to the victim, a 36-year-old Port Huron Township man, he arrived home on Hickler Lane from work at around 12:30 a.m. and he was confronted by his neighbor, Jones, who was clearly intoxicated.
According to an independent witness, Jones was drinking at a nearby bar when someone had thrown a rock through the windshield of his car. As he was describing the damage to his girlfriend back at his home, the victim pulled up and the intoxicated man concluded that the victim was the person who had damaged his vehicle.
He then grabbed a “hammer-sized” hatchet and began chasing the victim.
“The victim mistook it for a hammer,” said Lt. John Michalke.
The victim told deputies that Jones chased him with the hatchet raised over his head.
The victim got back into his car and drove away, with Jones following in his vehicle. The police report states that a short automobile chase ensued before the two men returned to their respective residences. It was at that time the victim contacted police.
The victim told deputies that he did not damage Jones’ car and said he had no idea why he was being chased. No one was injured in the incident.
Jones’ bond was set at $3,000 cash or surety, 10 percent.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi