HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 27-year-old Harrison Township man was behind bars after he went after his neighbor with a hatchet early in the morning of April 30, Macomb County Sheriff’s officials say.
Brett Jones was arraigned in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township later that day on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon.
According to police, Jones was heavily intoxicated when the assault occurred just after midnight.
According to the victim, a 36-year-old Port Huron Township man, he arrived home on Hickler Lane from work at around 12:30 a.m. and he was confronted by his neighbor, Jones, who was clearly intoxicated.
According to an independent witness, Jones was drinking at a nearby bar when someone had thrown a rock through the windshield of his car. As he was describing the damage to his girlfriend back at his home, the victim pulled up and the intoxicated man concluded that the victim was the person who had damaged his vehicle.
He then grabbed a “hammer-sized” hatchet and began chasing the victim.
“The victim mistook it for a hammer,” said Lt. John Michalke.
The victim told deputies that Jones chased him with the hatchet raised over his head.
The victim got back into his car and drove away, with Jones following in his vehicle. The police report states that a short automobile chase ensued before the two men returned to their respective residences. It was at that time the victim contacted police.
The victim told deputies that he did not damage Jones’ car and said he had no idea why he was being chased. No one was injured in the incident.
Jones’ bond was set at $3,000 cash or surety, 10 percent.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit