Harrison Township father fires shotgun at son
Published May 3, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A Harrison Township father is facing assault and firearms charges following a heated dispute with his 24-year-old son outside their home on Elm Lane April 25.
Macomb County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the 37000 block of Elm at 6:20 p.m. following numerous emergency calls about a man shooting a gun at a moving vehicle.
Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said that, at the scene, deputies learned that 64-year-old Leroy Davis had been in an argument with his son.
“This argument degraded to the point where the older man demanded that his 24-year-old son leave,” he said. “(Davis) forbade the son from taking the car.”
Davis’ son, whose name has not released because he is not facing criminal charges, proceeded to take the car, a maroon 2002 Chevy Malibu. According to Wickersham, the son decided to leave the home because the argument with his father was reaching a boiling point.
The sheriff said the son is the owner of the vehicle.
A police report indicates that, as the son was leaving the driveway, Davis emerged from the home with a shotgun. He proceeded to fire at least three rounds, flattening two tires on one side of the vehicle and leaving it covered in pellet holes.
The son drove away in the car, despite two flat tires, and waited for police at a gas station on Jefferson and Metropolitan Parkway.
Deputies located three spent shell casings at the scene of the shooting in front of the home.
Davis was arrested at the scene and was arraigned in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township on one charge of felonious assault and charges of reckless discharge of a firearm. He jailed on $5,000 bond, cash or surety, 10 percent. Davis paid bond and was released.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe