Gregory claims 11th District state senate nomination in tight race
Published August 5, 2014
In one of the most tightly contested races of the Aug. 5 primary election, Vincent Gregory was able to overcome opposition Vicki Barnett and Ellen Cogen Lipton by the slimmest of margins to earn the Democratic nomination for the state Senate seat in the 11th District.
Gregory will face off in November against Republican candidate Boris Tuman, who ran unopposed in the primary election.
With all 119 precincts reporting, Gregory took 10,286 votes of the total 29,659 votes, accounting for 34.68 percent of all votes. Barnett totaled 10,169 votes, or 34.29 percent and Lipton finished with 9,204 votes, taking just more than 31 percent of all votes.
While Lipton took more precincts from a wider range of cities, Gregory won all 36 precincts in Southfield, giving him 44 precincts in total. Lipton had 41 precincts, coming from seven different municipalities, and Barnett took 34 precincts, including all of Farmington and Farmington Hills.
Gregory is an incumbent from the current 14th district, which, based on district lines, will become the 11th district after the November election, with the addition of Madison Heights and losing Southfield Township to the 12th district.
Check back to www.candgnews.com and the Aug. 13 edition of your paper for more on the primary election.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township