Gray-haired man gives children candy
Published March 20, 2013
The old lesson of not taking candy from strangers still holds true.
Two children were playing in a front yard of a residence near 14 Mile and High Street at about 2:30 p.m. March 14 when they got a surprise visitor.
“They were playing in the area and (were) approached by a gray-haired man with a play shovel,” Clawson Police Lt. Scott Sarvello said.
The children were cousins, an 11-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy. They said the man asked them whether the toy shovel was theirs and, when they replied that it was not, he handed each of them a box of candy and walked away, heading east. The man did not have a vehicle nearby that the children saw.
“It could have been a good neighbor. They had no idea who this guy was,” Sarvello said. “I’m hoping this is as it sounds, but it’s really strange.”
The two children ran inside and told their parents, who, as did Sarvello, warned them about taking candy from strangers.
The man was wearing a black coat and black pants at the time of the incident.
Anyone with more information should contact Clawson police at (248) 524-3477.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe