Published April 12, 2013
Freedom Hill announces summer lineup
By Eric Czarnik email@example.com
Freedom Hill Amphitheatre 2013 summer lineup
• June 4: Huey Lewis and the News
• June 13: Lady Antebellum
• June 15: Harley Fest 2013
• June 28: Collective Soul, Randy Travis
• June 29: Puddle of Mudd, CAKE
• June 30: Kool & the Gang, Stars & Stripes Festival
• July 3: Foreigner
• July 19: Creedence Clearwater Revisited
• Aug. 1: Weird Al Yankovic
• Aug. 2: The Beach Boys
• Aug. 3: Live & Loud 2013
• Aug. 10: Rock ‘n Blues Fest
• Aug. 15: George Thorogood and Buddy Guy
• Aug. 16: Larry the Cable Guy and Bill Engvall
• Aug. 23: Warriors of Rock
The biggest outdoor music venue in the city is getting ready to present its summer lineup of talent, which includes legendary artists and groups like The Beach Boys and Randy Travis.
Kevin Cassidy, general manager of Freedom Hill Amphitheatre, said the structure is currently undergoing a facelift to get it ready for a busy season of activity. He explained that the last time it had a full season was in 2009; the theater has been closed due to differences between the past ownership and the county.
“We’re extremely excited about the property going back up under (the) new leadership of Luna Entertainment,” Cassidy said. “We have a tremendous amount of work that we have to do in the next 60 days, but it’s all coming together.”
Freedom Hill is arranging a packed lineup of acts over the summer months, starting in early June. Besides the classic bands and artists, music-lovers should be excited for the appearance of contemporary stars like Lady Antebellum, Cassidy said.
“They’re an act that traditionally can play arenas, and we got them to be part of our opening this year,” he said. “And to come into a venue that is 7,000 in capacity is a great coup for the venue.”
Starting in June, Freedom Hill will open the lineup with Huey Lewis and the News June 4. The rock band is expected to celebrate its “Sports” album’s 30th anniversary year. The album contained classics like “The Heart of Rock & Roll” and “Heart and Soul.”
Fans of classic hits may be interested in bands like The Beach Boys, Foreigner and Kool & the Gang. An Aug. 3 “Live & Loud 2013” tour, sponsored by WDTW-FM 106.7, The D, will gather together, ’80s rock and heavy metal bands like Ratt, Dokken, Warrant and L.A. Guns.
Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel said he is excited about Huey Lewis being the summer lineup’s first act. He is also happy that the theater is once again a platform for community and economic development, comparing it to venues like the Palace of Auburn Hills and Joe Louis Arena.
“The heart of rock ‘n’ roll is still beating in Macomb County,” he said. “This is a true asset to Macomb County and the region, as well.”
Find out more about the Freedom Hill Amphitheatre, 14900 Metropolitan Parkway in Sterling Heights, and its summer lineup, including tickets and admission prices, at www.freedomhill.net or call (586) 268-9700.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- By the book: Experts explain how strange, outdated laws manage to stick around - Metro Detroit
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley