WARREN — Firefighters rescued two people from a balcony above a burning unit at an apartment complex on Frazho just east of Ryan early on Oct. 13.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said about 40 firefighters from Warren, Center Line and the U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal were sent to the scene after callers reported a fire and people possibly trapped at 4:20 a.m.
Frederick said two callers reported smoke and flames visible from a first-floor apartment in a building with a total of 16 units at the Warren Woods Apartments. He said fire was fed with oxygen after it spread through a picture window and up the side of the building.
Firefighters found fire in the vestibule area of the building when they arrived at the scene.
“They rescued people off the second-story balcony. Everybody else got out,” Frederick said. “There was one minor injury to an occupant. He had a cut on his leg. He was treated at the scene.”
Frederick said a Center Line firefighter was also injured and transported to St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital where he required stitches for a cut on his hand.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than three hours while crews from Sterling Heights, Roseville and Eastpointe handled calls routed to Warren fire stations through emergency dispatch.
Two first-floor units in the apartment building were destroyed and an additional six suffered smoke damage.
Frederick said the cause of the fire was still undetermined Oct. 14.
“I just have to give credit to the Warren firefighters. They did a great job with the rescue and containing the fire to just the two units,” Frederick said. “They saved that whole building, and then all the other help we got from the other cities.”
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit