An explosion blew out a wall and sparked a blaze at Munro & Associates, 1749 Northwood Drive, near Maple and Crooks, at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 24.
No one was in the building at the time of the explosion, said Dave Roberts, Troy assistant fire chief, in a prepared statement. He could not be reached for further comment. According to the company’s website, Munro & Associates is a consulting engineering firm specializing in design and manufacturing methods, and its customers include Chrysler, General Dynamics, Roll Royce, Nikon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Rubbermaid.
According to the release, multiple alarms in the building dispatched firefighters, who discovered the explosion had blown out part of a wall in the large industrial facility. They found heavy smoke inside.
The building’s sprinkler system activated, which contained the majority of the fire, Roberts said.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, ensured it was out, shut down the sprinkler system and ventilated smoke from the building.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours, according to reports. The damage was confined to the rear warehouse portion of the building, and none of the businesses nearby sustained damage from the incident.
Employees were back in the building Oct. 25.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate to determine the cause of the fire, Roberts said.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township