Elderly couple taken to hospital after car strikes building
September 9, 2013
WARREN – An elderly couple was taken to the hospital by ambulance Sept. 6 after the car they were in left the roadway, crossed a parking lot and struck a business on 12 Mile Road at Schoenherr.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said the 85-year-old driver and his 82-year-old wife were transported to the McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens by the Warren Fire Department shortly after police, paramedics, and fire crews responded to a strip mall on the southeast corner of the intersection at about 11:30 a.m.
Frederick said witnesses reported that the male driver pulled out of a car wash on the north side of 12 Mile and continued across the street, through the parking lot and into the front of a tobacco shop.
“Witnesses said they thought he was going to stop to dry the car, but that he didn’t stop,” Frederick said.
Warren firefighters extricated both the man and his wife from the vehicle. Both were restrained with seatbelts and the vehicle’s airbags reportedly deployed during the crash.
The woman was transported with injuries described only as non-life-threatening. The man reportedly told paramedics he had neck and back pain.
Frederick said the matter would be investigated by the Warren Police Department.
No other injuries were reported.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township