Elderly couple taken to hospital after car strikes building
Published September 9, 2013
WARREN – An elderly couple was taken to the hospital by ambulance Sept. 6 after the car they were in left the roadway, crossed a parking lot and struck a business on 12 Mile Road at Schoenherr.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said the 85-year-old driver and his 82-year-old wife were transported to the McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens by the Warren Fire Department shortly after police, paramedics, and fire crews responded to a strip mall on the southeast corner of the intersection at about 11:30 a.m.
Frederick said witnesses reported that the male driver pulled out of a car wash on the north side of 12 Mile and continued across the street, through the parking lot and into the front of a tobacco shop.
“Witnesses said they thought he was going to stop to dry the car, but that he didn’t stop,” Frederick said.
Warren firefighters extricated both the man and his wife from the vehicle. Both were restrained with seatbelts and the vehicle’s airbags reportedly deployed during the crash.
The woman was transported with injuries described only as non-life-threatening. The man reportedly told paramedics he had neck and back pain.
Frederick said the matter would be investigated by the Warren Police Department.
No other injuries were reported.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township