Elderly couple taken to hospital after car strikes building
September 9, 2013
WARREN – An elderly couple was taken to the hospital by ambulance Sept. 6 after the car they were in left the roadway, crossed a parking lot and struck a business on 12 Mile Road at Schoenherr.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said the 85-year-old driver and his 82-year-old wife were transported to the McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens by the Warren Fire Department shortly after police, paramedics, and fire crews responded to a strip mall on the southeast corner of the intersection at about 11:30 a.m.
Frederick said witnesses reported that the male driver pulled out of a car wash on the north side of 12 Mile and continued across the street, through the parking lot and into the front of a tobacco shop.
“Witnesses said they thought he was going to stop to dry the car, but that he didn’t stop,” Frederick said.
Warren firefighters extricated both the man and his wife from the vehicle. Both were restrained with seatbelts and the vehicle’s airbags reportedly deployed during the crash.
The woman was transported with injuries described only as non-life-threatening. The man reportedly told paramedics he had neck and back pain.
Frederick said the matter would be investigated by the Warren Police Department.
No other injuries were reported.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville