Published September 9, 2013
Elderly couple taken to hospital after car strikes building
By Brian Louwers firstname.lastname@example.org
WARREN – An elderly couple was taken to the hospital by ambulance Sept. 6 after the car they were in left the roadway, crossed a parking lot and struck a business on 12 Mile Road at Schoenherr.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said the 85-year-old driver and his 82-year-old wife were transported to the McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens by the Warren Fire Department shortly after police, paramedics, and fire crews responded to a strip mall on the southeast corner of the intersection at about 11:30 a.m.
Frederick said witnesses reported that the male driver pulled out of a car wash on the north side of 12 Mile and continued across the street, through the parking lot and into the front of a tobacco shop.
“Witnesses said they thought he was going to stop to dry the car, but that he didn’t stop,” Frederick said.
Warren firefighters extricated both the man and his wife from the vehicle. Both were restrained with seatbelts and the vehicle’s airbags reportedly deployed during the crash.
The woman was transported with injuries described only as non-life-threatening. The man reportedly told paramedics he had neck and back pain.
Frederick said the matter would be investigated by the Warren Police Department.
No other injuries were reported.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley