WarrenMarch 19, 2013
Death of pedestrian on Ryan ruled an accident
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — Police said they do not plan to seek charges against the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 81-year-old woman walking on Ryan after dark March 18.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said Mari Juncaj of Sterling Heights was struck by a 2005 Chevy Cobalt while she was walking in the curbside lane of northbound Ryan, north of 13 Mile Road, at 10:40 p.m. She was later pronounced dead at the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital’s Oakland Center in Madison Heights.
“It’s an unfortunate accident,” Mills said. “It appears she was walking in the roadway. It was a darkened area. She was struck.”
Mills said witnesses reported that they swerved to avoid hitting Juncaj before the Cobalt, driven by a 20-year-old Warren man, struck her.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
“He (the Cobalt’s driver) was given a PBT at the scene; all zeros,” Mills said. “He’s an honor student at Oakland University. He’s pretty broken up about it. He knew she was in bad shape.”
Mills said Juncaj reportedly had visited relatives in the area before she was struck.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi