WARREN — Police said they do not plan to seek charges against the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 81-year-old woman walking on Ryan after dark March 18.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said Mari Juncaj of Sterling Heights was struck by a 2005 Chevy Cobalt while she was walking in the curbside lane of northbound Ryan, north of 13 Mile Road, at 10:40 p.m. She was later pronounced dead at the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital’s Oakland Center in Madison Heights.
“It’s an unfortunate accident,” Mills said. “It appears she was walking in the roadway. It was a darkened area. She was struck.”
Mills said witnesses reported that they swerved to avoid hitting Juncaj before the Cobalt, driven by a 20-year-old Warren man, struck her.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
“He (the Cobalt’s driver) was given a PBT at the scene; all zeros,” Mills said. “He’s an honor student at Oakland University. He’s pretty broken up about it. He knew she was in bad shape.”
Mills said Juncaj reportedly had visited relatives in the area before she was struck.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township