Death of pedestrian on Ryan ruled an accident
March 19, 2013
WARREN — Police said they do not plan to seek charges against the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 81-year-old woman walking on Ryan after dark March 18.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said Mari Juncaj of Sterling Heights was struck by a 2005 Chevy Cobalt while she was walking in the curbside lane of northbound Ryan, north of 13 Mile Road, at 10:40 p.m. She was later pronounced dead at the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital’s Oakland Center in Madison Heights.
“It’s an unfortunate accident,” Mills said. “It appears she was walking in the roadway. It was a darkened area. She was struck.”
Mills said witnesses reported that they swerved to avoid hitting Juncaj before the Cobalt, driven by a 20-year-old Warren man, struck her.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
“He (the Cobalt’s driver) was given a PBT at the scene; all zeros,” Mills said. “He’s an honor student at Oakland University. He’s pretty broken up about it. He knew she was in bad shape.”
Mills said Juncaj reportedly had visited relatives in the area before she was struck.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Bank robbery suspect in police custody - Roseville
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Teen center receives $10,000 grant for after-school program - Eastpointe
- Breakfast with Santa - Harrison Township
- Transit authority seeks public input on Gratiot changes - Eastpointe
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville