Published March 19, 2013
Death of pedestrian on Ryan ruled an accident
By Brian Louwers firstname.lastname@example.org
WARREN — Police said they do not plan to seek charges against the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 81-year-old woman walking on Ryan after dark March 18.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said Mari Juncaj of Sterling Heights was struck by a 2005 Chevy Cobalt while she was walking in the curbside lane of northbound Ryan, north of 13 Mile Road, at 10:40 p.m. She was later pronounced dead at the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital’s Oakland Center in Madison Heights.
“It’s an unfortunate accident,” Mills said. “It appears she was walking in the roadway. It was a darkened area. She was struck.”
Mills said witnesses reported that they swerved to avoid hitting Juncaj before the Cobalt, driven by a 20-year-old Warren man, struck her.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
“He (the Cobalt’s driver) was given a PBT at the scene; all zeros,” Mills said. “He’s an honor student at Oakland University. He’s pretty broken up about it. He knew she was in bad shape.”
Mills said Juncaj reportedly had visited relatives in the area before she was struck.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley