WARREN — Police said they do not plan to seek charges against the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 81-year-old woman walking on Ryan after dark March 18.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said Mari Juncaj of Sterling Heights was struck by a 2005 Chevy Cobalt while she was walking in the curbside lane of northbound Ryan, north of 13 Mile Road, at 10:40 p.m. She was later pronounced dead at the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital’s Oakland Center in Madison Heights.
“It’s an unfortunate accident,” Mills said. “It appears she was walking in the roadway. It was a darkened area. She was struck.”
Mills said witnesses reported that they swerved to avoid hitting Juncaj before the Cobalt, driven by a 20-year-old Warren man, struck her.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
“He (the Cobalt’s driver) was given a PBT at the scene; all zeros,” Mills said. “He’s an honor student at Oakland University. He’s pretty broken up about it. He knew she was in bad shape.”
Mills said Juncaj reportedly had visited relatives in the area before she was struck.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit