Published August 14, 2014
DDA conducts study for possible wellness center
By Kayla Dimick firstname.lastname@example.org
SOUTHFIELD — A new Medical Wellness Center could soon be added to the downtown Southfield skyline, depending on the results of a study conducted by the Downtown Development Authority and several local organizations.
The study is being managed by KIRCO Health Partners and is set to begin by late August. KIRCO is a health care real estate, and development and investment company.
According to Al Aceves, executive director of the DDA, the purpose of the study is to see if the marketplace can support a wellness center within the DDA’s borders.
“Then we’ll move into a phase two study that will talk about the business model, how that’s established, and an operational strategy,” Aceves said.
Aceves said the first stage of the study could take as few as 45 days, but it could also run around 600 days, at most.
If both phases of the study prove positive results, the wellness center will be given an OK to be built.
The possible wellness center would include medical services, as well as physical machines and activities one would see in a typical health care facility, Aceves said.
“It could be that there’s health educational classes, physician’s offices,” Aceves said.
The cost of the study is being shared between the DDA, St. John Providence Hospital, Health Alliance Partners, Oakland County Medical Main Street, Farbman Group and Solo Development.
“Farbman Group is invested in the DDA area, and as such we see that health care and health care organizations are a part of a huge success in Southfield,” said Andy Gutman, president of Farbman Group, a real estate and property management company located in Southfield.
HAP Support Services Director Bob Leger said investing in the study for the wellness center is doing a service to the people who work in Southfield.
“With 800 employees in Southfield, it makes sense to look at the feasibility of having a health and wellness center nearby,” Leger said.
The location and cost of the wellness center are unknown at this time.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- E-Lounge and I-Connect begin 2015 season - Madison Heights
- Thoroughbred meet starting soon at Hazel Park Raceway - Hazel Park
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley