An Eastpointe man is charged with child sexually abusive activity after attempting to meet up with a 13-year-old Detroit girl he met on Facebook.
Michael Starr, 22, is charged with one count of child sexually abusive activity, two counts of using a computer to communicate with another to commit a crime and accosting a minor for immoral purposes.
According to the complaint filed by Wayne County Prosecutor Kim Worthy, Starr contacted the girl multiple times on Facebook, eventually suggesting they meet and engage in sex. However, the message was intercepted by the girl’s father, who decided to take an offensive approach and, pretending to be his daughter, began sending messages and eventually agreed to meet for sex.
Still acting as his daughter, the father provided their home address in the 8600 block of Plainview and set up a time to meet. Starr reportedly showed up as planned, except instead of a minor child waiting for him, it was an angry father who apprehended Starr and held him until police arrived.
Starr was arrested at the scene and arraigned April 7 in 36th District Court in Detroit. A preliminary exam scheduled for April 16 was postponed to 1:30 p.m. June 10. According to 36th District Court records, Starr had not been assigned a public defender and no attorney was on record at press time.
Calls to Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Maria Miller, the director of communications at the Prosecutor’s Office, were not returned at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit