A Clinton Township man is in police custody after allegedly carjacking an Eastpointe woman Jan. 2.
According to a press release, John Randolph, 30, of Clinton Township, is facing charges of carjacking and stealing financial transaction devices. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
At approximately 2:15 p.m. Jan. 2, in the 21000 block of Cushing Street, a woman reported that she had been standing next to her vehicle, which was running and parked in her driveway, when Randolph allegedly ran toward her and pushed her to the ground before entering the vehicle. Randolph allegedly then drove away southbound with the woman’s personal belongings and purse in the vehicle.
According to the release, Eastpointe police spotted a matching vehicle and followed it to a strip mall around Seven Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue. The officers took Randolph into custody without incident with assistance from the Detroit Police Department, and police said that they recovered the vehicle’s keys and the woman’s credit cards.
Randolph had an outstanding warrant for being a parole absconder, according to Eastpointe Police Lt. Dave Ernatt, which stemmed from a previous carjacking conviction.
The court entered a not guilty plea on Randolph’s behalf. He requested a court-appointed attorney; the attorney had not been appointed as of Jan. 3. Randolph’s next court date is scheduled for Jan. 14.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township