A Clinton Township man is in police custody after allegedly carjacking an Eastpointe woman Jan. 2.
According to a press release, John Randolph, 30, of Clinton Township, is facing charges of carjacking and stealing financial transaction devices. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
At approximately 2:15 p.m. Jan. 2, in the 21000 block of Cushing Street, a woman reported that she had been standing next to her vehicle, which was running and parked in her driveway, when Randolph allegedly ran toward her and pushed her to the ground before entering the vehicle. Randolph allegedly then drove away southbound with the woman’s personal belongings and purse in the vehicle.
According to the release, Eastpointe police spotted a matching vehicle and followed it to a strip mall around Seven Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue. The officers took Randolph into custody without incident with assistance from the Detroit Police Department, and police said that they recovered the vehicle’s keys and the woman’s credit cards.
Randolph had an outstanding warrant for being a parole absconder, according to Eastpointe Police Lt. Dave Ernatt, which stemmed from a previous carjacking conviction.
The court entered a not guilty plea on Randolph’s behalf. He requested a court-appointed attorney; the attorney had not been appointed as of Jan. 3. Randolph’s next court date is scheduled for Jan. 14.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit