Bomb threat evacuates county courthouse
By Julie Snyder
Posted March 17, 2014
The Macomb County Circuit Court Building in Mount Clemens has been evacuated due to a bomb threat, sheriff’s officials report.
According to Macomb County Sheriff’s Capt. Brenda Baker, a call came in to the Court Clerk’s Office at approximately 9 a.m.
“(The caller said) a bomb would go off sometime early this afternoon,” said Baker. “We considered how credible the call was, and the judges made the decision to evacuate the courthouse.”
The sheriff’s K-9 units were called to the location, at which time a floor-by-floor search of the building and surrounding area was conducted with the assistance of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office and the Michigan State Police.
That search was completed at 11:53 a.m., and nothing suspicious was found. Sheriff’s officials report that the courthouse will reopen to the public at 2:15 p.m.
Detectives are currently investigating the source of the calls.
The sheriff’s K-9 units are currently conducting a search.
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
More from C & G Newspapers
- 30 DAYS
- 6 places to purchase the perfect paczki - Metro Detroit
- Economic plans focus on industry, Lakeside - Sterling Heights
- Peck students engineer their own robots - Warren
- Fire Department fights three blazes in four days - Shelby Township
- Local officeholders announce future political decisions - Harrison Township
- Ferndale chef shows culinary skills on new season of ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Ferndale
- Pedestrian struck, killed crossing Dequindre - Warren
- Hall Road project planned for 2017 - Shelby Township
- Chippewa graduate to compete on ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Clinton Township
- Bald eagles spotted around city - St. Clair Shores
- Park concept plan unveiled - Rochester Hills
- Man shot multiple times, suspect on loose - Clinton Township
- Local student accepted to MIT - Clinton Township
- ‘Floored at the true act of kindness’ - Warren