CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Michigan appeals court upheld a murder conviction for the man found guilty of the 1990 slaying of his wife at the couple’s Clinton Township comic book store.
In a court ruling published May 21, a three-judge appeals court one-by-one ruled against each of Michael George’s reasons that the conviction be overturned.
George, now 52, had appealed the conviction based on what the defense claimed were trial errors and insufficient evidence to find him guilty.
George is serving a life sentence without parole after two juries convicted him of shooting his wife, Barbara George, in July 1990 in the back room of the former Comics World store in Clinton Township.
The murder resided in cold case status for 17 years, before investigators dug it up in 2007.
With little hard evidence to go on, Macomb County prosecutors relied on a circumstantial case that alleged George had shot Barbara George because he was having an affair, wanted out of his marriage and was looking to collect an insurance payout.
The defense, however, maintained that the murder had happened during a robbery, and attacked the investigation for not pursuing other leads. George’s alibi was that he was at his mother’s home at the time of the murder.
A jury first convicted George in 2008, but the court in 2010 granted George a second trial.
In October 2011, another jury returned a guilty verdict on counts of premeditated murder, a firearms felony, insurance fraud and using false pretenses.
In February 2012, the Macomb County Circuit Court denied the defense’s request for an acquittal and new trial.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit