EASTPOINTE — What started out as a normal day in the life of an 11-year-old Eastpointe girl turned unfathomable as she chased her dog down Collinson Avenue last June.
According to Eastpointe police, the girl was spotted by a group of teens acquainted with her brother, who then invited her inside of a home, and then took turns having sex with her in a basement bedroom. One of the boys, who ranged in age from 15-18 at the time, taped the incident with a cell phone camera.
Detective Lt. Leo Borowsky said the video, which shows the victim naked from the waist down having sex with the teens, was shown to several neighbors.
“Rumors were flying around, and eventually the girl’s mother found out, and came down to the station with her daughter in August to file a criminal complaint,” Borowsky said. From August to December, police were able to identify all five of the teens involved and seek warrants for their arrest.
Now, Reginald Brown, 19 of Clinton Township, a 16-year-old Warren teen, a 15-year-old Roseville teen, a 16-year-old Eastpointe boy and a 15-year-old Eastpointe teen have been charged as adults with first-degree criminal sexual conduct. The teens are being held on $50,000 bond, awaiting a pretrial examination in Macomb County Circuit Court on March 8.
Borowsky said the girl is doing OK physically, but the incident has taken an emotional toll on her.
“She was able to come to 38th District Court and testify against them in the exam on Jan. 30,” he said.
Although the teens didn’t “put a gun to her head or beat her”, Borowsky said, the girl was intimidated.
“At 11 years old, you don’t have the mental capacity to agree or disagree in a situation like that,” he said.
According to Michigan law, no one under age 16 can legally consent to sex.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville